Grass stains can be a tricky laundry ordeal. In most cases, the stubborn green blemish seems to latch strongly on most light-colored clothes. Luckily, you can remove the stain with the right products and some elbow grease.
A grass stain is a protein-based stain and an organic matter. With this in mind, soak the stain in cold water before attempting anything else. Once the garment is completely saturated with water, use the right cleaning agents to scrub away the stain. Some of the products that you can use include white vinegar, rubbing alcohol or even bleach. Read further to learn ways to remove grass stains from jeans properly.
Table of Contents
Steps on how to remove grass stains from jeans
It can be quite bothersome to see a grass stain on your favorite jeans. Remember that the length of time it requires to clean your jeans is based on how long the stain has been present. A fresh stain can be easily removed.
- Moisten the jeans generously with rubbing alcohol with a sponge or cotton swab.
- Once the stained area is completely dry, rinse it with cool water.
- Apply a small amount of liquid detergent on the stained area and work it in for at least 5 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water and allow the fabric to air dry.
- Repeat as needed until the stain fades. Place the jeans in the washing machine and launder as normal.
Remember that you need to put in some extra effort if the grass stain has been present for some time.
Toothpaste is an alternative cleaning agent, especially set-in stains. Add a dollop of toothpaste on the stained area and carefully rub on the stain. In most cases, it might require a few attempts.
How to get rid of grass stains on clothes
When your favorite shirt or any of your clothes end up with a grass stain, simply follow these steps:
- Soak the stained garment for 15 minutes in a solution of 2-parts water and 1 part white vinegar.
- Use a clean white towel or rag and carefully dab the stain.
- Wash the garment with enzyme-based laundry detergent. The enzymes work by lifting the protein away from the fabric.
Repeat the above steps as necessary until the stain completely vanishes.
Are grass stains permanent?
Grass stains will readily come out as long as they’re washed immediately along with proper stain treatment. In case water alone cannot remove the grass stain, you can use other techniques like these:
- Rubbing alcohol. This is a no-wash treatment that you can use for grass stains.
- For white clothes, use a chlorine bleach solution.
- Soak the stain in a solution of water and detergent. Follow-up by washing the garment normally.
How do you remove set in grass stains?
When sorting dirty clothes for laundry, you might come across a shirt that has a set-in grass stain from days ago. Luckily, a set-in grass stain might not be a permanent problem, but you need to deal with it immediately. Simply follow these tips to get it done properly:
- Prepare a solution of 2-parts hydrogen peroxide and 1-part liquid dish soap. Transfer in a spray bottle and shake thoroughly.
- Spritz the cleaning solution to the stained area and let it sit for up to 30 minutes.
- Place the garment in a sink filled with warm water and a cup of all-fabric bleach. Let it soak for at least 3 hours or even overnight.
- Transfer the garment to a washing machine and run it under a normal wash cycle with detergent.
- Throughout the rinse cycle, pour a cup of distilled white vinegar to enhance and soften the fabric.
- Air-dry the garment.
How do you get grass stains out of jeans without washing them?
If you discover a grass stain on your jeans, you can deal with the stain without washing. One product that you can use is rubbing alcohol or methylated spirits.
This is a quick treatment without washing for a grass stain, but such methods can drain the colors of the fabric. With this in mind, it is best to use a 50:50 alcohol and water solution initially before resorting to pure alcohol.
When your favorite jeans or shirt end up with a fresh or set-in grass stain, don’t worry. This type of stain can be removed with the right products and cleaning techniques. By following the techniques described on how to remove grass stains from jeans, you can readily deal with the stain and restore the stain-free appearance of your clothes in no time.