Bird poop on cars can be a nightmare for car owners as it can leave unsightly stains on the vehicle. Luckily, you can remove these stains by acting fast, using car detailer spray, baking soda, and water-displacing spray. These techniques will bring back your car’s prime condition. Read on to see which one will work best for you.
Table of Contents
Remove bird poop from your car as early as possible
It’s best to remove the bird poop from your car as soon as possible before it dries up and causes substantial damage to your car’s paint. You just need to get a microfiber cloth or any non-abrasive cloth and water.
- If the bird poop is not yet dry, you can get rid of the bird poop using the microfiber cloth and then rinse the affected area with clean water.
- However, if the bird poop is dry, you have to place a wet cloth over it and let it sit there for a few minutes and then lightly rub the affected area until the stain is gone.
Car detailer spray and microfiber cloth combo
Etching is one of the worst side effects of bird poop stains. It’s a kind of damage caused by the corrosive action of acid from the bird poop. The perfect tool for dealing with etching problems is a car detailer spray, whose liquid can quickly dissolve the bird poop.
A car detailer spray can also reduce friction, preserving your car paint’s quality, making it the perfect tool for this job.
Follow these steps to remove the stubborn bird poop stains from your car using car detailer spray.
- Spray the product about once or twice directly on the bird poop stain.
- Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the stain’s severity.
- Grab a microfiber cloth, soak it in water and rub it on the stained area.
- At this point, the stain should no longer be present. If it’s gone, rinse the affected area with clean water and dry using a dry microfiber cloth.
- If the stain is still visible, repeat the process.
Removing bird poop stains using baking soda
One of the amazing uses of baking soda is for eliminating various types of stains from your car. The mild alkali properties of this material make it an effective cleaning agent. It can dissolve dirt and grease easily, giving you an easier stain removal procedure.
Here’s how you can get rid of bird poop stains using baking soda.
- Make a mixture of 2 tablespoons of baking soda, a small amount (a drop or two) of dishwashing soap, and ½ cup of hot water in a spray bottle.
- Directly spray this mixture on the stained area.
- Let the solution stay on the stain for 10 minutes for the best results.
- After 10 minutes, rinse the treated area with a hose. This should clear off the stubborn stains. However, if the stain is still visible, repeat the process.
Get rid of bird poop stains from your car using WD-40
WD-40, or any other water displacing spray is a combination of refined mineral oils. This product’s formulation contains anti-corrosion agents and can easily penetrate and wash away dirt. You can find this product in your toolbox, with the most popular one being the multipurpose WD-40.
This multipurpose product can be the answer to your problem of dealing with stubborn bird poop stains, with its amazing properties. WD-40 can easily loosen bird droppings, enabling you to eliminate the stains effortlessly.
Follow these steps to get rid of bird poop stains using a water-displacing spray:
- Spray WD-40 or any type of water-displacing spray on the stained area and let it soak for 30 seconds.
- The stain should no longer be visible at this point. So, rinse the area with clean water using a hose to wash away any residue.
- Since water-displacing sprays are oil-based products, it will make the spot a little bit greasy, so wash the greasy area with water and soap.
- Wipe and dry the area with a clean cloth.
Common questions about bird poop stains
How can you avoid bird poop on your car?
The most effective way to avoid bird poop on your car is to cover your car and park wisely. Parking your car in a place where birds can’t access it like in a garage or carport is the best option. If no carport is available, avoid parking under trees where birds are likely to congregate.
Other ways to avoid bird droppings on your car include hanging CDs on the vehicle as a reflector, or placing a big predator visual aid picture on the car to scare the birds away. Another trick to apply wax on your car, this won’t keep the birds away from your car but will make the cleaning a breeze.
How does bird poop ruin your car’s paint?
Bird poop contains a devastating amount of acid. This high acid level is more than enough to gradually corrode your car’s paint. So, the longer the bird poop stays on your vehicle, the more serious the damage is.
Some car owners rush into removing the bird droppings, and end up scratching the area carelessly, without realizing that they are unintentionally damaging the car’s paint.
What are the types of bird poop stains?
There are two kinds of bird poop stains. The first is “topical stain etching,” this type of stain is simple to get rid of because they just appear faded and can be removed using a clean cloth and applying pressure on the affected area.
The second type of stain is the “fractured or wrinkled etching,” this one’s tough to clean, you should avoid pressure while cleaning, because it can cause substantial damage to your car’s paint.
Keeping your car clean from bird poop stains can be easy as 1-2-3, just follow the simple steps mentioned above and you’re good to go! These methods require little elbow grease and, most importantly, are car paint friendly. You can now choose which method suits you best to remove the unsightly bird droppings from your car.