Blueberries are a delicious healthy treat that everyone can enjoy. However, eating them can be messy, leaving unsightly stains on your favorite clothes. Fortunately, you can easily remove them from your clothes using white vinegar, lemon juice, enzyme-based stain remover, or oxygenated bleach.
These processes are simple and effective, helping you bring back the optimal condition of your clothes. Read on to see how you can remove blueberry stains with these methods.
Table of Contents
Removing blueberry stains with vinegar or lemon juice
Blueberry stains easily stand out because of their vibrant blue to purple color. If you accidentally spill the blueberries and stain your clothes, the stain can set immediately. You can remove these stubborn stains using one of the most effective agents in removing any stain, acid.
Everyday kitchen products such as vinegar and lemon juice can help you eliminate unsightly blueberry stains with ease. Follow these steps:
- Blot off the blueberry juice on your clothing using a damp towel. Make sure that you blot as much as you can.
- Pre-treat the stained area using lemon juice or white vinegar. Let this solution stay for five to ten minutes. Before applying these acid-based solutions, ensure your clothes are not sensitive to acid. To prevent discoloration, don’t leave the solution for too long.
- After the 5 or 10 minutes, scrub the stained area of the fabric using a toothbrush. Make sure that you scrub it gently to avoid damaging your clothes.
- Once you loosen the blueberry stains, treat it with your regular laundry detergent. You can machine-wash or hand-wash your clothes, but if the fabric is not washable, dry clean it.
- When there are no visible stains left, rinse your clothes with plain water.
- Let air dry.
Enzyme-based stain removers work well on blueberry stains
One of the basic components of enzyme-based cleaners are proteins that can break down natural stains easily. The enzyme-based cleaner that you will use will depend on the type of stains you plan to remove. In plant-based stains like blueberries, the best enzyme-based cleaner to use is one that contains pectinase. Follow these steps to get optimal results.
- Put the enzyme-based stain remover solution in a spray bottle and spray the stained area of your clothes. Let the solution sit on your garment for 15 minutes. Doing this allows your clothes to absorb the enzymes entirely and get rid of the stains with ease.
- When there are no visible stains left, wash your cloth using regular laundry detergent. It’s best if you use warm water if your clothes are white, and cold if they’re colored. Pay attention to the tags to avoid ruining the fabric.
- Dry clean your clothes if necessary.
Read here to learn more about enzyme cleaners and here to learn how to make your own enzymatic cleaner from ingredients in your own kitchen.
Oxygenated bleach for old, dried stains
If you’re dealing with dried blueberry stains, using oxygenated bleach can solve the problem quickly. Remember that for most colors, household hydrogen peroxide bleaches are safe to use, allowing you to use them without having to worry about it damaging your clothes’ integrity.
To remove the blueberry stains from your clothes using oxygenated bleach, follow this process:
- Use a damp cloth to absorb blueberry stains. Loosen the stains a bit, and make sure that you blot the stains as much as possible.
- Once the stains are lighter, wash your clothes.
- If you want to handwash your clothes, use a solution of oxygenated bleach and water in the process. You can make this solution by mixing equal amounts of oxygenated bleach and water. Mixing it will dilute it and remove the strong properties that can discolor your clothes’ fabric.
- If you choose to machine wash your clothes, put the recommended amount of oxygenated bleach in the bleach dispenser and wait for the cycle to finish.
- If there are still visible stains, repeat the process. If there are no stains left, let your clothes air dry.
Liquid laundry detergent can also remove blueberry stains
Sometimes it’s not more complicated than simply using regular laundry detergent. Standard liquid detergent can help you remove blueberry stains from your clothes. Follow these steps:
- To lighten the blueberry stains, run cold water on your clothes.
- Put the liquid detergent directly on the stained areas and soak it in cold water for 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the stains’ severity.
- After you soak it, check if there are still stains left. If there are still visible stains, scrub them using a soft brush.
- Once you eliminate all the stains, rinse your clothes using cold water.
- Wash as normal.
Common questions about blueberry stains
What causes blueberry stains?
Blueberries have high sugar levels and a dark color, which can lead to unsightly stains on fabric. Your clothes are naturally absorbent, so they absorb the sugar properties in blueberries, and once these sugars settle on your clothes, they can leave stains. Fortunately, there are ways to safely and effectively treat your garments and stains.
Can I use boiling water to remove the blueberry stains?
Yes, you can use boiling water to remove blueberry stains from your clothes. Using boiling water is a solution for treating fresh blueberry stains. If you act quickly, using heated water can keep the stubborn stains from settling in your clothes. It can also prevent stains from forming on white-colored clothes. Don’t try the boiling water technique on old set stains.
Can bleach discolor my garments?
If you want to follow the oxygenated bleach method when removing blueberry or any kind of stains on your clothes, it’s best to be careful. Bleach can discolor your clothes if you let your garments soak in the solution for too long. To avoid discoloration, you can mix it with water to weaken the strong properties of bleach.
Chili can also give some annoying stains. Check out how to remove chili stains from clothes.
Blueberries are undeniably delicious, and they’re a perfect healthy treat to enjoy at home or anywhere. However, these fruits tend to leave unsightly stains on your clothes fast. But you don’t need to worry anymore because, with the useful methods above, you can now remove these stains with ease.