When your white towels end up with makeup stains, it can be quite obvious. The removal of makeup is often an essential part of many women’s daily routines. Sadly, the makeup that gives your face a fresh and flawless look can stain your white towels. Prompt removal of makeup stains is essential to prevent the stains from setting. Read further to learn how to remove makeup stains from white towels properly.
Table of Contents
Useful tips on how to remove makeup stains from white towels
Let’s take a look at some of the techniques for how to remove makeup stains from white towels.
When dealing with makeup stains, it depends on the type of makeup.
- For a mascara stains, spray a grease stain solvent and allow the white towel to sit for 15 minutes before rubbing and rinsing it under warm water. Machine-wash and allow to air dry.
- For a liquid foundation stain, get rid of any leftover clumps using a knife and moisten the area. Place a few drops of hydrogen peroxide and work it into the fabric using an old toothbrush until the stain fades. Machine-wash and air dry the towel.
- For powder foundation and powder blush stains, treat the site using your preferred liquid laundry detergent. Machine wash and allow to air dry.
For water-based makeup stains, moisten the stained area with water and remove the stain using a bar of white soap. Once the stain fades, rinse the towel, machine-wash, and air dry.
For an oil-based makeup stain, moisten the stained area with water, spray with a solvent for oil and grease stains, and machine-wash using the hottest temperature.
Restoring your white towels
If you want to restore life to your white towels, simply pre-soak them in a solution of hot water and a liquid detergent. Depending on the number of towels you are going to treat, you need a capful of your preferred detergent per 2 gallons of water.
Combine and soak your white towels for at least 8 hours. Drain the towels and machine-wash. Check the towels for any lingering stains before placing them in a dryer. If the stains are completely removed, place the towels in the dryer. If traces of the stains linger, pre-treat, and machine-wash again.
Consider alternative options
If the process of removing stains on your white towels is a tedious task for you, try to keep your options open.
- One is to resist the urge to wash your face using white or light-colored towels. Switch to dark-colored towels that will not readily show the stains.
- Another alternative is to use an eye makeup remover and makeup cleansing wipes.
How do you remove set in makeup stains?
Over time, makeup stains can set especially on white or light-colored washcloths. In case you want to restore rather than replace a washcloth that has evident makeup stains, allow them to fully saturate for several hours in a laundry booster before washing.
OxiClean is a suitable option for this task, but Borax or plain Tide can also work. Dissolve in warm water that is enough to completely submerge the washcloth and let it soak for at least an hour or even overnight. Wash the washcloth as usual. This is enough to restore the overall appearance of your washcloth, minus the makeup stains.
How do I get my towels white again?
You can readily whiten towels, whether they are used for special occasions or daily use, making them white is a simple task. Towels can be whitened with simple household products. Simply follow these steps.
- Treat any marks or stains on the towels using hydrogen peroxide. Apply a small amount of hydrogen peroxide over the stained area and let it soak for at least an hour before laundering the towel.
- Load the white towels into the washer and add laundry detergent along with ½ cup baking soda. The combination of baking soda and detergent will lift the stains out of the fabric and whiten the towels.
- Run a wash cycle and add a cup of white vinegar throughout the rinse cycle. The vinegar works by brightening the towels and can deep clean the fabric for the entire washing cycle.
- Dry the towels carefully.
You can repeat steps 1 up to 4 as needed to get your white towels looking professionally cleaned and whitened.
How do hotels get stains out of towels?
In most hotels, the washing machine settings are vital in keeping linens and towels fresh and spotless. The washing time is chosen based on the need of the laundry being washed. The linens are washed in a warm setting, not too hot and not too cold.
Vinegar is also a useful product that has been used to keep hotel sheets and towels smelling fresh. Once it is used as an alternative to fabric softener, it eliminates bacteria and freshens fabrics. After washing the linens and towels in detergent and vinegar as a fabric softener, the hotel towels and sheets will smell clean and free from stains.
Makeup stains on your white towels can leave them unappealing. If left on for some time, these stains can set and become harder to remove. With the methods described for how to remove makeup stains from white towels, you can effectively clean your towels and restore their pristine appearance.
If rust stains on your fiberglass tub are old and set, it can be a challenge, but you can still remove them using the right techniques. Get rid of rust stains on fiberglass using salt and...
Just like it’s “grown up” version, wine, grape juice is often a part of your special gatherings and occasions. But while living the moment, you may not notice your grape juice spilling, and it...