Mustard can liven up our favorite dishes. But as you devour your food, you may unconsciously spill some mustard on your favorite clothes. It produces a bright and distinct color where it makes the stains stand out. To help preserve your clothing, make sure you act quickly to remove mustard stains from fabric.
Table of Contents
How to remove dried mustard stains from clothing
Get rid of mustard stains on your clothes with an at-home remedy of vinegar and dish soap, or try mixing rubbing alcohol and dish soap. Leave it in for 15-30 min before rinsing with hot water. Commercial laundry stain remover is also effective.
Read on to find out how you can remove these stains with some simple techniques.
A quick and natural method: vinegar
Mustard has turmeric properties, that’s why it leaves bright yellow stains on your fabric. Removing mustard stains from your clothing using vinegar is one of the most natural methods that you can do. The quicker you respond to the situation, the better. This way, you can prevent the settling of mustard stains on your clothes.
Follow these steps to eliminate the mustard stains quickly and effectively.
- Make a solution out of vinegar and dish soap. Mix it well and evenly distribute the ingredients.
- Put the solution on the stained area and let it sit for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Rinse the stained area using hot water.
- Rewash your clothes with regular laundry soap.
- Dry your clothes under the sun.
Use rubbing alcohol and dish soap
The best time to remove the stains from your clothing is when it’s moist and still fresh. Using rubbing alcohol to remove mustard stains is another effective approach and is a relatively simple process. Follow the procedure below for optimal results.
- Prepare your materials. You need rubbing alcohol, dish soap, and water.
- Mix the dish soap, rubbing alcohol, and water. Make sure that you put an equal amount of every ingredient. Each part plays an essential role in removing mustard stains in your fabric.
- Put the solution in the affected areas. Let your clothes soak in the mixture for ten minutes, but don’t let the solution dry out as it can spread the stains.
- The solution may leave some dark spots on your clothes, but that’s normal, and you can remove it effortlessly.
- Use hot water to remove the dark spots.
- Wash it with regular laundry soap and let it air dry.
Commercial laundry stain removers will also get rid of mustard stains
For an instant remedy, there are commercial laundry stain removers available on the market you can buy. They work by softening the deposited turmeric from dried mustard stains, while also protecting the fibers of your clothes from getting dull. They are straightforward to use, so just follow the simple directions on the packaging.
Make sure you choose the laundry stain remover that’s suitable for your type of clothes because using inappropriate detergent can damage your clothes.
- Get a spoon or a dull knife to remove the dried mustard stain from your clothes. Be gentle, because you may damage your clothes.
- Use cold water when rinsing your clothes. Rinse it thoroughly with cold water to loosen the mustard stains from your clothes. Using heat will allow the stain to set on your clothes, so don’t change it to hot water.
- Use regular laundry detergent to treat the stains. Rub the liquid laundry detergent on the stained areas.
- Allow the laundry detergent to stay on your clothes for ten minutes.
- After ten minutes. Rinse the stained area with plain water thoroughly. Repeat the step until you wash away the mustard stains.
- To completely remove the mustard stains, apply the stain remover on the stained areas. The liquid or gel stain remover will stick to your clothes.
- Wash it as if you’re using a liquid laundry detergent. Before you let your clothes dry, check if you remove all the stains. If there are still stains, repeat the process above.
If you don’t have liquid detergent, you can use dish soap as an alternative. Though if you’re dealing with tough stains, you need to use laundry detergent.
Did you get blueberry on your clothes. This is how to get rid of blueberries.
Common questions about mustard stains
What causes mustard stains?
The mustard stains on your favorite clothes are caused by turmeric, vinegar, and yellow pigments present in the condiment. These ingredients can dye your clothes’ fibers. That’s why it’s crucial to treat it as soon as possible because when you leave it over time, the pigments settle on your clothes and leave bright and unsightly stains.
You can use detergents to break down the mustard stains and remove them completely. You can also use the vinegar and rubbing alcohol methods above if you are not familiar with the processes.
What is the best way to remove mustard stains on clothes?
The best way to remove mustard stains is by using regular liquid laundry detergent and commercial laundry stain remover. It’s best if you pretreat the stain with the detergent by rubbing it with an upward and downward motion.
After pretreating the mustard stains, apply commercial laundry stain remover for the best results. These products can speed up the stain removal process. Let the stain remover settle on your clothes for a couple of minutes then rinse.
Can I use baking soda in removing mustard stains?
Baking soda is an active agent that freshens, softens, and whiten fabrics. You can also use it to remove mustard stains on your clothes. Just mix your detergent and one-half cup of baking soda. Apply the paste on the mustard stains and allow it to settle for 5 to 10 minutes. Wash it with water to remove the baking soda and mustard residue.
Will OxiClean remove mustard stain?
You can use OxiClean if you need to remove mustard from your clothes.
Video: How to get rid of mustard stains from clothing with vinegar
Mustard stains on your clothes can be an eyesore, especially if you want to look fashionable. Fortunately, removing them is not an impossible task. You can use vinegar, liquid detergent, alcohol, and laundry stain remover. Never let your clothes suffer from mustard stains again. Step up, boost your confidence, and live fashionably.