Rust stains originates from dripping showers, toilets, and sinks that can make your bathroom look unclean and unpleasant. It is important to note that rust can undermine the tile, resulting in perforations in the tile and floorboard. Additionally, it can also damage the finish on the tiles. Repairing the leaks will help avert further damage. However, getting rid of the rust stains can help save a costly replacement of the tiles in the future. Read further to learn ways on how to remove rust stains from bathroom tiles properly.
Table of Contents
Steps on how to remove rust stains from bathroom tiles
Once you discover rust stains on your bathroom tiles, you should remove them right away. Let’s take a look at the steps on how to remove rust stains from bathroom tiles.
- If you do not have a bathroom tile cleaner, you might want to buy one that can remove rust stains. Some of the recommended options include “Clorox Green Works Bathroom Cleaner”, “Bar Keepers Friend Lime and Rust Remover” or “Tile & Grout Magic”. Other products can be useful as well. Make sure that you will read the label if the product is safe to be used on tiles as well as for removing rust stains.
- Place a drop of the tile cleaner on the stained area. Let it sit for up to 6 minutes so that it will fully soak the rust stain.
- Use a brush to work the tile cleaner into the floor. Make sure that the bristles are soft to avoid scratches or scuffs on the tile. Brush in circular motions, covering the entire area.
- Saturate a sponge in water that has a mild temperature. Wring out the excess. Wipe on the site to remove both the cleaning solution and rust residue. Squeeze out the sponge frequently.
- Allow the site to dry completely. If a trace of the rust stain lingers, simply repeat steps 2-4.
How to get rid of iron and rust stains on bathroom tiles
If you do not want to use commercial cleaners, you might want to try out this method.
- Moisten a pumice bar and rub on the stained area.
- Prepare a paste by mixing borax and lemon juice.
- Apply the paste on the stained area and allow it to dry.
- Rinse the site with clean water and repeat the application if needed.
- Dry the site with a clean cloth once the rust stains are completely gone.
What removes rust stains?
Rust stains on ceramic tile are common. The stains are caused by wet metal items that are left on the floor or ceramic countertops. These stains form when the metal comes in contact with the tile or surfaces where it continuously deposits iron particles. Let’s take a look at the removal methods.
- Prepare a paste by mixing lemon juice and borax. Apply on the rust stain and let it dry. Once it dries up, use a sponge to wipe it away and rinse the site with clean water.
- Vinegar solution with salt in equal parts. Dab the mixture on the spot and let it sit for up to 5 hours before adding some hot water. Use a sponge to scrub on the site gently. Remember that it might take some time to remove the rust stains.
- You can also use commercial cleaning solutions that specifically removes rust stains. Just make sure that you will choose one that is environmentally-friendly.
How do you remove tough stains from bathroom tiles?
It is important to keep your bathroom tiles clean but dealing with tough stains can be a challenge for some. Let’s take a look at some of the common types of stains on your bathroom tiles and how to remove them.
- Grease stains. Wash the stained area with club soda and hot water. The carbonated soda works by cutting down the grease on the surface.
- Coffee, tea, wine, or fruit juice stains. Moisten a cloth or paper towels with hydrogen peroxide. Rub on the stained area and rinse thoroughly.
- Ink or permanent marker stains. There are three methods that you can try – dry eraser, hydrogen peroxide with oxygen cleaner, and diluted bleach.
- Bloodstains. When dealing with blood stains, use rubber gloves. Prepare a solution by mixing a cup of bleach and ten cups of hot water. Pour the solution over the stained area. Wipe the site with a towel, cloth, or paper towels.
- Tar, gum, or wax stains. Apply an ice pack on the stained area and let it sit until the substance is cold and solidifies. Use an object with a blunt edge to remove as much of the substance. Wipe the site with paint thinner and rinse with water.
Does vinegar remove rust stains on tiles?
Once you discover rust stains on your tiles, they can be unappealing to look at. You can use vinegar to remove them. It is a common household product that can effectively remove stains, including rust stains. Simply spray vinegar directly on the stained tiles and rub the site a little. Rinse thoroughly after with warm water.
If you want to keep your bathroom tiles clean and free from rust stains, it is important to stick with a regular cleaning routine. Sadly, if rust stains form on your bathroom tiles, you should remove them right away. With the methods described on how to remove rust stains from bathroom tiles, you can effectively remove the rust stains in no time.