Smoke can be the result of a burned dish or a house fire. Sadly, cleaning up after a small or large house fire can be tedious and time-consuming. Once you have the right tools, you can get rid of smoke stains on plastic furniture, countertops or other plastic items in your house. Read further to learn ways on how to remove smoke stains from plastic.
Table of Contents
How to clean smoke stains on plastic
When you want to get rid of smoke stains from plastic fill a bucket with warm water and a little detergent. With a soaked cloth gently rub the surface. If this doesn’t remove the smoke stain 100%, continue with a kitchen sponge.
Steps on how to remove smoke stains from plastic
Let us now take a close look at the steps on how to remove smoke stains from plastic.
- Wear rubber gloves. This will protect your hands from being exposed to detergents and other cleaners you will use.
- With a bucket, fill it halfway with warm water. Add ½ cup of mild detergent and mix thoroughly. Soak a soft cloth in the water.
- Utilize paper towels to get rid of any loosened grime or debris from the plastic before utilizing the damp cloth. Eliminating the soot will help you decide if there are any deep-seated stains in the plastic while also making the cleaning process effective.
- With the soaked cloth, carefully rub on the surface. Continue rubbing until the stain vanishes.
- In case the stain only dulls but does not fully vanishes, utilize a kitchen sponge with a rough and soft edge to remove any lingering stain. If needed, add bleach to a dry cloth and blot on the stain. Simply wait for a few minutes to check if the stain disappears.
- For smoke stains on countertops with a plastic coating, prepare a solution by mixing ½ cup of bleach to a bucket of water. Wipe away any soot or debris using a soft cloth or paper towel. Utilize a soft-bristled brush and scrub any leftover stains.
- When dealing with embedded soot and smoke stains, you must slowly and gently scrub until the stain vanishes. You can use a combination of detergent and bleach. Wipe up any excess cleaner with paper towels.
How to remove smoke stains from wood
- Wipe the stained area with a cloth moistened by a solution of mild foamy water.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water and wipe it dry right away since water can damage most finishes.
- Wax or polish as soon as possible.
How to remove smoke stains from masonry
Depending on the type of masonry, follow these steps to remove smoke stains from brick, sandstone, terrazzo, slate or masonry tile.
- For small stains, erase using an art gum eraser.
- Prepare a solution by mixing ½ cup powdered all-purpose cleaner in a gallon of water and rub on the stain using a sponge dipped in the solution.
- Rinse thoroughly to get rid of any leftover cleaner and allow it to dry.
How do you get nicotine stains off plastic?
Nicotine stains are hard to remove. In most cases, these stains are the tar-like, gluey residue left behind by cigarette smoke.
Spray the nicotine stain with a mild degreaser such as Dr. Bronner’s, Goo-Gone or Simple Green. You can even prepare one by mixing a cup of vinegar with 4 cups of water. Leave the solution on the stain for a few minutes before wiping it away. You can add 1-2 tablespoons of ammonia to make the solution stronger.
How to remove soot damage from plastic?
Soot damage on plastic can be undesirable to look at. Luckily, the following steps can help you get rid of the mark.
- Wear rubber gloves for protection.
- Fill a bucket with warm water halfway. Add ½ cup of mild detergent and mix thoroughly. Immerse a soft towel or cloth in the solution.
- Utilize paper towels to remove any loose debris or soot before using the damp cloth. Getting rid of the soot will help determine if there are any deeply-seated stains in the plastic. Use the damp cloth to gently rub the surface. Continue rubbing until the stain vanishes.
- In case the stain turns dull but does not fully vanish, utilize a kitchen sponge with a rough and soft edge. Utilize this sponge to get rid of any lingering stains. Use the soft edge and followed by the rough edge. You can even add bleach to a dry cloth and blot on the site.
Does vinegar remove smoke stains from plastic?
Vinegar can be used to remove smoke stains on the plastic. Simply follow these steps for easy removal.
- With a bucket, fill it half with hot water. Add a cup of baking soda and a cup of vinegar.
- Spray the solution on the plastic with smoke stains. Leave it in place to saturate the plastic for up to 5 minutes.
- With a scrub brush, dip into the solution and brush the plastic vigorously. Repeat until the stain vanish. If the stain is stubborn, continue scrubbing.
Depending on the cause of the smoke stains on plastic furniture, it is vital to remove them due to their unappealing appearance. With the methods discussed on how to remove smoke stains from plastic, you can effectively remove smoke stains on plastic furniture and surfaces in no time.