If you have a small deck or patio on your property, using a pressure washer to get it cleaned properly is a great idea, but what type of pressure washer will work best for this chore? Once you learn a little bit about pressure washers in general, choosing the right one becomes a piece of cake.
In general, you do not need a super-powerful pressure washer to clean a patio, especially a small one, which means you can search for a pressure washer with a low PSI number. The pounds-per-square-inch number can be around 1,500 to 2,200 and still work great on your patio, so this is what you should look for.
Table of Contents
Other Factors Are Important
In addition to the PSI number, here are some factors you can look at to get a good pressure washer for your small patio or deck:
- Cord length. Most electric pressure washers have long cords that allow you to use them practically anywhere, but you’ll want to make sure this is the case before you purchase one. A 25-foot cord is ideal, but you may need one that is even longer. Just make sure you check this feature before you make your purchase.
- Detergent tanks. Make sure the pressure washer has a detergent tank, whether it’s a dual-tank system or it only has one. Adding detergent to the job helps get rid of that stubborn debris that you’ll occasionally find. Once you use detergent on your next job, you’ll understand how important this feature truly is.
- Electric versus gas. While you can choose either of these types of pressure washers, keep in mind that gas-powered washers are a bit heavier and sometimes more cumbersome. For most household chores, a lot of homeowners simply prefer an electric pressure washer because it is lighter and therefore easier to maneuver.
- Multiple spray tips. To accommodate the job, you should have a variety of spray tips because one just won’t do. Each tip provides a different angle and flow rate, so if you didn’t get several spray tips with the pressure washer when you bought it, you might want to go out and purchase a few more.
- Power modes. If you get a pressure washer with both low and high power modes, it can more easily accommodate the cleaning of your patio. This is because there are always parts of a patio that are going to require much less pressure than other parts to make sure it isn’t too harsh on the wood or whatever other material is there.
- Wheels. If the wheels on your pressure washer are large, it will be much more mobile and easier to move from one location to another. Mobility is important when it comes to pressure washers, even if your patio isn’t that large. Bigger wheels simply make moving from one spot to another a lot easier.
This isn’t to say the process of finding the right pressure washer is difficult; in fact, it is not. But you will need to check a few factors to make sure you get one that can efficiently clean your patio so it can stay looking good on a regular basis.
If you’re looking for suggestions, the Karcher K4 electric pressure washer is perfect for most patios and decks. It has a PSI of 1,900, has a 25-foot high-pressure hose, and the ability to adjust your spray right at the wand. It also has an onboard detergent tank for your convenience.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Learning what type of pressure washer to buy starts with knowing as much about each of them as possible, and these frequently asked questions can help you do just that.
Can I use any type of detergent in my pressure washer?
Yes, as long as the maker of the detergent itself doesn’t prevent you from using it on a particular fixture.
Why is it so important to have multiple spray tips for my pressure washer?
Each spray tip accommodates a different angle and overall pressure, and you’ll need various ones to get into cracks and crevices of all sizes and locations.
Can I ruin my patio if I don’t use the right pressure washer?
Yes, you can. That’s why it is recommended that you not choose pressure washers with a PSI number that is more than 2,200 or so.
Small patios and decks need to be cleaned regularly to look good and remain in good condition, and a good pressure washer makes that task a lot easier. The good news is that you don’t have to purchase a washer with a high PSI number to get one that works, which makes the tool a lot less expensive and easier to maneuver in the end.
All you really have to do is check out a few features to make sure they’re appropriate for the task, and the rest is simple.