Hair chalking is a hair coloring technique that uses chalk to achieve a temporary hair color. It is important to note that hair chalk is not the same as hair dye. It’s applied in a different way and has a distinct consistency. The hair chalk simply coats the hair and needs time to air dry and be absorbed, before it is eventually sealed in with a flat iron.
When hair chalk is used, don’t expect that your hair to feel the same if it is was dyed. Generally, it can dry your hair out and has a stiff feeling. After washing your chalky hair, it will either wash out completely or might still have a faded color after 1-2 washes.
Table of Contents
Steps on how to remove hair chalk stains on furniture
If you accidentally rub your newly-dyed hair against your sofa or brush up against another piece of upholstery, it could end up leaving a chalk stain. Remember to act quickly to prevent the chalk from spreading or deeply embedding into the fabric fibers.
- Vacuum any loose chalk. Using the brush attachment of a regular vacuum or hand-held vacuum, pick up any loose chalk.
- Prepare a solution by mixing 2 cups of cold water and a tablespoon of dish soap. Use a clean cloth or sponge to soak the stain with the solution. Blot with a dry towel until the liquid is soaked up. Repeat this process as necessary to lift the stain.
- If a trace of the stain lingers, use a dry-cleaning solvent on the site. Carefully follow the instructions on the packaging.
- Blot the site again with cold water and leave it to dry.
In case the hair chalk stain lingers after several attempts, it is best to hire a professional service.
What are the types of hair chalk and how do I remove them?
There are a few different types of hair chalk products available. Let’s take a look at the different types and how to remove them.
- Liquid hair chalk. This type can last on your hair between 2 to 10 washes. It usually includes a sponge-tool or foam applicator. When applying, use the applicator to apply the product on your hair. Wait for around 30 seconds for the product to dry and blow-dry with a styling comb or brush. When removing it, wash your hair as usual.
- Hair chalk compact. This can be used on dry or wet hair, but a more intense color will be achieved when applied on wet hair. Depending on how light your hair color is, it can last for 1-3 washes.
- Hair chalk stick. The conventional hair chalk stick can be applied on wet or dry hair and can last from 2-4 washes, depending on your hair color. The product can be removed using normal shampoo, but a clarifying shampoo will rinse it out rapidly.
- Hair chalk spray. Among the different hair chalk products, this is the easiest to use. Simply spray it on dry hair. It will only last a few washes.
How do you remove hair chalk stains from clothes?
For those who have been using hair chalk, the product might end up on your clothes if you’re not careful during the application. Hair chalk contains additional ingredients compared to normal chalk, so try these steps to remove the chalk stains from your clothes.
- Shake or carefully brush off any loose chalk from the fabric.
- Pre-treat the area with a laundry pre-wash stain remover.
- Wash the garment in the hottest water, based on the fabric care label. You can use chlorine bleach if it is safe for the fabric or color bleach if not. Double check if the stain is gone before placing the garment in a dryer. If a trace of the stain remains, placing it in the dryer will set it permanently.
- In case the stain lingers, sponge the site with rubbing alcohol to remove the stain and wash the garment again. Remember that rubbing alcohol is a natural stain remover that you can use for chalk marks.
How do you get chalk out of clothes without washing?
When it comes to sidewalk chalk, it can be an entertaining, outdoor activity that children can engage in but it seems to stick on different surfaces or materials, including your clothes.
Since chalk has the tendency to spread to any surface or material it touches, it can result in stains on carpet, fabric, and upholstery. Luckily, you can get rid of chalk marks on clothes without washing, especially for minor marks.
A recommended product that you can use is rubbing alcohol, which can get rid of color from fabrics. Simply follow these steps.
- Position the garment on a clean white towel.
- Soak a clean white towel or cloth in rubbing alcohol and blot the stain. Continue blotting until no more color transfers.
- Rinse the site thoroughly.
How do I remove hair chalk stains from carpet?
Once you discover hair chalk stains on your carpet, it can be unappealing to look at especially if you have a light-colored carpet.
- Vacuum as much of the chalk as possible, just make sure not to spread the stain further.
- Prepare a solution by combining 2 cups of cool water and 1 tablespoon of dishwashing liquid.
- Soak a clean white cloth in this solution and sponge it on the stained area.
- Blot the stain until the liquid is fully absorbed.
- Repeat steps 3-4 until the mark is completely removed from the surface.
- Once the stain is removed, sponge cold water using a new white cloth on the site to remove the solution and blot dry.
When dealing with stains on carpet or upholstery, only wet as needed to remove the stain. If this cleaning technique fails to work, an alternative is to use a dry cleaning solvent until the stain vanishes.
When your clothes, carpet or upholstery end up with bright hair chalk stains, it is important to act immediately. The reason for this is to prevent the chalk from spreading further or embedding further into the fabric. With the techniques described on how to remove hair chalk stains on different surfaces, you can readily remove the stain and keep your clothes, upholstery or carpet free from stains.