When dealing with rust stains from grout, there are several techniques on how to remove rust stains from grout that you can utilize for effective removal. Several products claim to clean and eliminate stains from grout, but these can be too expensive for some. Luckily, there are inexpensive cleaning solutions that can remove rust stains effectively while saving at the same time. Read further to learn more about the techniques on how to remove rust stains from grout.
Table of Contents
Household products that effectively removes rust stains from grout
Some household products can help you get rid of rust stains on grout. Let us take a look at these products and how to use them in removing grout.
Dish detergent is a useful option if you want to eliminate rust stains from grout.
- Prepare a solution of 1 cup water and 20 drops of liquid dish detergent. Pour into a spray bottle.
- Spritz the solution onto the grout and leave in place for a few minutes.
- With a sponge or soft-bristled brush, rub away any lingering rust.
- Once the stain is fully removed, thoroughly rinse the site with warm water to get rid of any rust or detergent scum.
Utilize this solution frequently as a safe yet effective grout-removing agent.
If you are going to use laundry detergent, it is also effective in eliminating rust stains from grout without damaging its surface.
- Moisten the site of the stains and sprinkle a layer of powder laundry detergent.
- Leave in place for a few minutes and scrub using a sponge or soft-bristled brush to work the detergent into the stain.
- Continue scrubbing and repeat as needed until the stain has been completely removed.
- Thoroughly rinse with warm water to eliminate any rust or detergent scum.
You can also use hydrogen peroxide to eliminate the unsightly rust stains from grout.
- Prepare a solution of a cup of water and ½ cup hydrogen peroxide. Pour the solution into a spray bottle.
- Spritz the solution directly onto the grout.
- Brush the site using a sponge or soft-bristled brush.
- Once the stain is completely removed, rinse thoroughly with warm water to eliminate any cleaning solution or rust residue.
You can also utilize this solution to get rid of mold or mildew stains.
Can vinegar ruin your grout
When grout was not sealed or requires resealing, it should not be cleaned with vinegar. Take note that vinegar can penetrate the spaces or crevices in the grout which leads to its weakening.
Over time, vinegar will deteriorate the overall condition of the grout by wearing it away or etching it. In case the grout has been sealed regularly, using vinegar to clean it is not an issue of concern. It is recommended to inspect your grout every year to check if it requires resealing.
Does toothpaste clean grout
When cleaning grout, it is important to bear in mind that you can use your regular toothpaste. The same toothpaste that you use to clean your teeth will surely come in handy when cleaning a variety of items around the house, including grout.
Toothpaste works as a mild abrasive often made with baking soda that gets rid of dental plaque. This abrasive action works wonders in eliminating stains and scuffs on almost any surface such as shoes and walls. Simply use an old toothbrush when cleaning small items including grout. Let us take a look at the steps when using toothpaste to clean grout.
- Apply some white, non-gel toothpaste onto the grout.
- Scrub using an old toothbrush.
- Once done, soak a cloth or towel in a solution of dish soap and water.
- Wipe clean.
How do you deep clean grout?
Regular cleaning of grout can keep it clean, but if there is a need for deep cleaning, let us take a look at these steps.
- Wipe down the grout with hot water to eliminate any surface grime and dirt.
- Choose a cleaning agent to clean the grout. You can prepare a solution by combining a 50-50 mix of water and vinegar into a spray bottle.
- Spritz on the grout and leave in place for around 5 minutes and brush with a soft-bristled brush. You can utilize a toothbrush to scrub the grout. If you want extra scrubbing power, use an electric toothbrush. Avoid using a metal brush since it will scratch the tile and knock out pieces of the grout away.
- Thoroughly rinse with hot water.
You can utilize any commercially prepared grout cleaners or diluted bleach. Simply follow the instructions on the packaging on how to clean floor grout. Caustic products must be used sparingly since regular use will erode the grout.
When you have unappealing rust stains on grout, you should get rid of them right away. Luckily, some household products can effectively deal with these stains. With the techniques on how to remove rust stains from grout, you can easily and effectively keep your grout clean.