Removing sweat stains from hats is pretty simple. Straw hats can be cleaned with dish soap or hydrogen peroxide. Baseball caps can be soaked in water mixed with detergent. And wool hats can be run through a wool-cycle in the washing machine.
Hats are a versatile accessory that you can wear with any outfit. However, when you wear it too much or on a warm day, you can get pretty sweaty fast. Luckily removing sweat stains from your hat is easier than you think. We will guide you on how to remove sweat stains from your favorite hats to help you get your unique fashion statement back stink free.
Table of Contents
How to remove sweat stains from a straw hat
Straw hats are becoming a popular trend and many people wear them in the summertime. Unfortunately, wearing a straw hat for a long time can lead to sweat stains gathering on it. Follow these steps on how to remove sweat stains from a straw hat.
First try with dish soap
- Create a mixture of water and liquid dishwashing soap.
- Grab a clean cloth and soak it in the mixture before rubbing off the sweat stains. This step should be able to remove the sweat stains.
If you still see visible marks from the stain:
Use a combination of hydrogen peroxide and water
- Grab a clean toothbrush and dip it into the mixture and scrub off the remaining sweat stains.
- When there are no more visible stains left, grab a clean towel, and dip it in water and wipe off the area.
- Let the hat air dry and keep it out of direct sunlight.
How to remove stains from a baseball cap
Baseball caps are a staple for not only professional baseball players, but many people in general. Some people wear them all day for a good chunk of the year and don’t always think about keeping it washed, leading to their caps becoming discolored by sweat stains. Follow these steps to remove sweat stains from a baseball cap.
- Mix warm water and a tablespoon of a cleaning agent of your choice and let the baseball cap soak in the mixture. Doing this removes the bacteria from your hat.
- After a few minutes of allowing the hat to soak in the water and detergent mixture, grab a clean toothbrush and brush off the stain.
- After brushing off the stain, let the cap soak in the water and the cleaning agent mixture again for four hours.
- Occasionally stir the hat inside the mixture to help remove the stains faster.
- After four hours, using cold water, rinse off the suds on the cap, and ensure the water becomes clear when you remove it.
- Remove the hat from the water and squeeze it carefully to avoid distorting the shape of your cap.
- Let the baseball cap air dry. It can take up to 24 hours to completely dry the hat, depending on the room’s humidity.
This method of hand washing is the best and safest process for removing sweat stains on your hat. Never place the cap in direct sunlight as it can shrink your baseball cap.
Common questions about sweat stains
How do you get sweat stains out of a wool hat?
Even though wool hats are primarily worn in the winter, they can still be prone to sweat stains. These stains can be removed with stain remover and by washing your hat in the washing machine on a gentle cold-water cycle using wool wash.
Here is a quick guide on how to remove sweat stains from your wool hat.
- Pre-treat your wool hat using a stain remover if it is drenched with sweat.
- When washing the hat using a washing machine, use a gentle and cold wool wash cycle. Never use hot water when removing a stain on your hat as it can damage the material and shrink the wool.
- Following the cap’s washing directions, choose a laundry detergent appropriate for it.
- Never add bleach as it can ruin the garment of the wool hat.
- After the wash cycle finishes, remove your cap carefully and let it air dry.
How do you get sweat stains out of a white hat?
Yellow sweat stains can definitely ruin the appearance of a classic white hat. The best way to remove sweat stains on a white hat is by using a simple solution of hydrogen peroxide, a soft-bristled toothbrush and water. Make sure to spot test before you get started.
Here is the process on how to remove sweat stains on your white hat.
- Because the chemical you are about to use can cause damage, cautiously put a few drops of it on the stain on your white hat.
- Let the cap soak the bleaching agent for at least ten minutes.
- After ten minutes, grab a clean toothbrush with soft bristles and gently scrub the stain off.
- When brushing off the stain, make sure that you stroke it in one consistent direction to remove it altogether.
- When you see there are no more visible stains, let running water rinse off the chemical.
- Finally, let the cap air dry.
How do I stop sweat stains on my baseball cap?
Prevention is always better than putting in all the effort to remove sweat stains from your favorite baseball cap. To stop sweat stains from getting on your hat, here are some things that you can do.
- Sweat Less
You probably sweat when you are being physically active or experiencing heat. It could also be dur to feeling stressed or anxious. If you can control and reduce your sweating, you can also reduce your hat’s sweat stains.
- Hat Saver Spray
You can use treatment to reduce the sweat stains on your hat. All you need to do is to spray and dry it for fifteen minutes. This will make your cap look new and keep the stains away.
- Face and Forehead Antiperspirant
If you sweat a lot naturally, you should use antiperspirants. While typically used for the armpits, you can also find antiperspirant designed for the face. It can reduce your sweating and prevent you from suffering in dealing with your hat sweat stains.
Saving your hat
You do not need to be stressed about your favorite hat being covered with sweat stains since it’s reversible. Removing sweat stains is easy, allowing your hat to remain in top condition. Now that you know the different ways to remove sweat stains on your hat, you can now be carefree and less anxious in doing activities and making memories with your hat.