Carrots are a healthy choice, whether they’re part of a meal or eaten as a snack. They provide the body with vitamin A and other essential nutrients. Unfortunately though, this brightly-colored vegetable might be hard to remove from fabrics and other materials. It is important to note that most food-based stains, although organic can deeply penetrate cotton and other fabrics easily and rapidly. Dealing with a carrot stain once detected can increase the odds of completely removing it. Read further to learn ways to remove carrot stains from clothes.
Table of Contents
Steps on how to remove carrot stains from clothes
If you want to thoroughly remove carrot stains from clothing, simply follow these steps on how to remove them effectively.
- Get rid of any solid carrot pieces or residue lingering on the garment before treating the stained area.
- Rinse the garment in cold water to loosen the carrot residue from the fibers. Avoid using hot water since heat will allow the stain to set, making it almost impossible to remove.
- Dab a laundry stain remover that contains enzymes on the stained area. These enzyme-based cleaning agents work by breaking down the proteins and fats comprising organic stains. This will lift the mark from the fabric. The majority of laundry detergent brands offer a selection of this type of stain remover.
- Launder the stained garment in the washing machine using regular laundry detergent and color-safe bleach, unless the fabric care label indicates that bleach should not be used. At this point, the mark has been treated and it is safe to use hot water. Do not forget to check the fabric care tag when selecting the water temperature.
- Inspect the garment to see if the stain was removed before placing it in the dryer. If a trace of the stain lingers, wash the garment again before putting it in the dryer. If the stain is not completely removed and placed in the dryer, the stain will set permanently.
How to remove carrot stains on furniture
Once you discover unsightly carrot stains on your furniture, particularly on upholstery, simply follow these recommended steps:
- Check the fabric care label and follow it.
- Get rid of any carrot pieces or residue and blot using a clean white cloth or towel.
- Prepare a solution by mixing 2 cups of cool water with 1 tablespoon of liquid dishwashing detergent.
- Apply this solution lightly on the stained area with a white cloth or towel.
- Blot the site with a clean cloth until the liquid is absorbed.
- Repeat as necessary until the stain vanishes.
- Remove the remaining solution from the upholstery by dabbing the site again with a cloth rinsed in cool water.
- Blot the site to dry.
When it comes to antique, silk, or vintage upholstery, it is best to consult a professional cleaning service.
Does carrot juice stain clothes?
The stains from orange vegetables such as carrots, potatoes and pumpkins are caused by the beta-carotene pigment. Take note that beta-carotene is essential for night vision, but not on your clothes. Once it stains on clothing, it can embed into the fabric and can be stubborn to remove.
How do you get carrot juice stains out of carpet?
If your carpet ends up with a carrot stain, you must deal with it immediately to prevent it from setting. Simply follow the removal steps.
- Remove any leftover carrot residue by scraping lightly using a spoon.
- Use a white towel or cloth. Blot it on the site to get rid of any lingering residue.
- Prepare a solution by mixing 1 teaspoon of dishwashing detergent and a cup of water. Use a clean towel or cloth to apply this solution to the stained area in your carpet.
- Work in the solution using the cloth or towel, starting at the outer edges, and moving inwards.
- Rinse the site by dabbing with water and blot until dry.
- If a trace of the carrot stain lingers, try removing it with a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. Perform a test first in a concealed area. Allow it to dry. If there is no change in the color, dab it directly on the stained area.
- Let the solution sit on the stained area for a minute.
- Rinse the site thoroughly by dabbing with water.
- Blot to dry.
Can water remove carrot stains?
When dealing with a minor carrot stain, it can be washed away by placing it under flowing water. Before doing this, you must scrape away any excess carrot from the fabric.
This usually works for minor carrot stains, but in cases where the stain is concentrated and covers a wide area, it will take more than flushing with water to remove it completely.
As with most brightly-colored stains, any clothing or surface that end up with these types of stains can become unappealing. Once you find this type of stain on your clothes, using the proper removal techniques can deal with it effectively. With the techniques described on how to remove carrot stains from clothes, your garments will look as good as new.