Carrots are highly beneficial for the eyesight but their pigment can cause stains that are tricky to deal with. The stains from orange vegetables including carrots, sweet potatoes, and pumpkins are brought about by the beta-carotene pigment.
Remember that this pigment is good for night vision but not on your clothes where the stains it deposits can be hard to deal with. Read further to learn about ways on how to remove carrot stains.
Table of Contents
How to get rid of carrot stains
In many cases, you can remove carrot stains with dishwashing detergent and water. To remove carrot stains from clothes it is a good idea to pre-treat the stain with either vinegar or lemon juice before you move on with laundry detergent and water, and then a regular wash.
Dealing with carrot stains on washable garments
If your favorite white shirt ends up with a carrot stain, let us take a close look at the steps to remove it.
- Pre-treat the stain with vinegar or lemon juice to break it down. Leave in place for 5 minutes.
- Thoroughly rinse with water to ensure that the acid will not damage the garment. In most instances, the pre-treatment can loosen the stain.
- Flush the underside of the stain with a solution that includes a tablespoon of laundry detergent with 3 cups of warm water. Wash after as usual.
- In case the stain lingers, treat the site using an enzyme-based stain remover that contains pectinase. Allow it to soak in place for 15 minutes. Wash after as usual.
- If the stain persists, the final option is to utilize an oxygenated bleach such as chlorine bleach or hydrogen peroxide. Since these products can cause the loss of color, you must test initially in a concealed site first. Apply a diluted bleach solution or hydrogen peroxide on the stain. Do not immerse the fabric for more than a minute and flush with warm water.
- Wash the garment as usual. Avoid machine dry unless the stain is completely gone.
- If the stain has vanished entirely, you can run it through a dryer.
How to remove carrot stains on furniture
- Blot the site of the stain using a clean white cloth or towel.
- Combine 2 cups of cool water with a tablespoon of liquid dishwashing detergent. Soak a white cloth into the solution and wring out the excess. Lightly dab the cloth on the stain.
- Blot with a clean cloth until the liquid is completely absorbed. Repeat the process as necessary until the stain is gone.
- Get rid of any remaining cleaning solution from the upholstery by dabbing the site again with another cloth that has been rinsed in cool water.
- Blot the site dry.
Removing carrot stains on carpeting
- When carrots leave stains on carpeting, blot the site with a white cotton cloth or towel.
- Prepare a solution containing 1 teaspoon of dishwashing detergent and a cup of water. Dab on the site of the stain on the carpet with a clean white cloth.
- Continue to work the solution into the site with the cloth. It is recommended to start at the outer edge and work inwards.
- Rinse by patting with water and blot until it fully dries up.
- In case the stain persists, use a 3% hydrogen peroxide but you should test first in a hidden area and allow it to dry. In case there is no change to the color, tap the stain with hydrogen peroxide.
- Leave it in place for one minute. Rinse out by patting with water and blot until dry.
How do you remove carrot stains from baby spoons?
Although carrots are tasty and healthy, they have a downside specifically staining plastic, including baby spoons. Just like other vegetables, carrots contain natural dyes that can discolor certain materials including plastic. Since plastic is porous, it can readily take in dyes.
Let us now take a close look at the different methods on how to remove carrot stains from plastic baby spoons.
- Add 1 oz. of vegetable oil into a basin. Immerse a paper towel or cotton ball until soaked by the oil. Brush the stain on the baby spoon until it fully fades. Once it has vanished, wash using water and soap to get rid of the oil.
- Add water and dishwashing soap over the site of the stain. With a sponge or brush, scrub on the mark until it has vanished and rinse thoroughly. The degreasing properties of the soap can break through the carrot’s natural oils which can remove the stain.
- Add 1 oz. of isopropyl alcohol in a small basin. Immerse a cotton ball into the liquid. Dab the cotton ball on the stain, rubbing it back and forth. Continue to scrub until the stain is gone and wash with soap and water to get rid of any leftover alcohol residue.
How do you get carrot stains out of a juicer?
When you have a juicer at home, it can be an ordeal to end up with carrot stains on it. Let us take a close look at some techniques in removing carrot stains on your juicer.
- Disassemble your juicer and soak the parts overnight in a solution of ½ liquid detergent and ½ gallon of water. Scrub the parts thoroughly. It is recommended to soak the parts once a month to prevent the build-up of future stains.
- Soak the juicer parts in a solution of vinegar and water overnight. Apply olive oil on a clean cloth and wipe the parts until any staining is removed.
- Baking soda can also be used when getting rid of carrot stains on your juicer. Prepare a mixture of 16 oz lukewarm water and 4 tablespoons of baking soda. Immerse the parts of the juicer overnight and wash them with soap and water. Rub dry using a clean cloth.
Does carrot juice stain teeth?
Although carrot can stain fabric and plastic, rest assured that your teeth will not end up orange in color after eating the vegetable. Simply brush your teeth after a meal to prevent any discoloration that might occur.
Remember that some types of vegetables and fruits can help clean your teeth while you eat which can help prevent stains from setting in. One of these vegetables and fruits is no other than carrot along with apples, celery, peas, cucumbers, and cauliflowers.
What you need to remove carrot stains off your hands is vinegar or lemon juice. If the carrot stain is extra stubborn you can use a mix of lemon juice and salt. This should handle the carrot stain on your hand.
What you need to remove carrot stains from plastic is water, bleach and dishwashing liquid. Make a solution with these ingredients and soak the plastic. Afterwards wash it as you usually would. You can also try a little vegetable oil on a paper towel.
If the orange stain comes from carrots, you can use vinegar or lemon juice to pre-treat it. Afterward, rinse with lots of water. If the orange stain is not out of the clothes after this, try with an enzyme-based stain remover (always good to have in the house).
Does carrot juice stain clothes?
The stains from orange vegetables such as carrots, potatoes and pumpkins are caused by the beta-carotene pigment. Take note that beta-carotene is essential for night vision, but not on your clothes. Once it stains on clothing, it can embed into the fabric and can be stubborn to remove.
Steps on how to remove carrot stains from clothes
If you want to thoroughly remove carrot stains from clothing, simply follow these steps on how to remove them effectively.
- Get rid of any solid carrot pieces or residue lingering on the garment before treating the stained area.
- Rinse the garment in cold water to loosen the carrot residue from the fibers. Avoid using hot water since heat will allow the stain to set, making it almost impossible to remove.
- Dab a laundry stain remover that contains enzymes on the stained area. These enzyme-based cleaning agents work by breaking down the proteins and fats comprising organic stains. This will lift the mark from the fabric. The majority of laundry detergent brands offer a selection of this type of stain remover.
- Launder the stained garment in the washing machine using regular laundry detergent and color-safe bleach, unless the fabric care label indicates that bleach should not be used. At this point, the mark has been treated and it is safe to use hot water. Do not forget to check the fabric care tag when selecting the water temperature.
- Inspect the garment to see if the stain was removed before placing it in the dryer. If a trace of the stain lingers, wash the garment again before putting it in the dryer. If the stain is not completely removed and placed in the dryer, the stain will set permanently.
Can water remove carrot stains?
When dealing with a minor carrot stain, it can be washed away by placing it under flowing water. Before doing this, you must scrape away any excess carrot from the fabric.
This usually works for minor carrot stains, but in cases where the stain is concentrated and covers a wide area, it will take more than flushing with water to remove it completely.
Video: How to get carrot stains out of plastic
Due to the beta-carotene pigment in carrots, it can leave behind yellowish stains on fabrics and plastic. With the different methods on how to remove carrot stains, you can effectively deal with this type of stain in no time.