Marker stains on the carpet can be undesirable to look at, disrupting its pristine appearance, especially on light-colored ones. When children are around armed with Sharpies or markers that they use to draw, you might discover marker stains on your carpet now and then. Luckily, different techniques utilize various products to effectively get rid of marker stains on your carpet. Read further to learn about these techniques on how to remove marker stains from carpet.
Table of Contents
Using the rubbing alcohol and hair spray technique on marker stains
This initial technique which is effective for permanent marker stains requires rubbing alcohol and hair spray. Before starting with this technique, check the material your carpet is made of to prevent damage to the fabric since some are known to end up damaged when certain cleaning methods are used.
- Pour rubbing alcohol over the site of the marker stains, making sure to saturate properly.
- Use paper towels to blot the site carefully. While blotting, make sure to stay on the stained areas and avoid spreading it.
- At this point, the marker stains are already faint. Spray a generous amount of hair spray. Make sure that the one you will use is not oil-based. The hair spray will get rid of the stains.
- Clean the area using paper towels, removing as much moisture as possible.
- For stubborn marker stains, it is recommended to repeat the process or try the next cleaning technique.
How to remove marker stains from carpet with vinegar and baking soda
The widely used combination of vinegar and baking soda can be used to eliminate stubborn marker stains on carpet effectively. With this technique, you need a cup of vinegar, some baking soda, paper towels, and a vacuum cleaner. Let us now proceed to the steps.
- Pour vinegar into the stained area, making sure to cover it entirely.
- Blot the site gently with paper towels and spread the vinegar evenly on the stain.
- Once the vinegar is distributed evenly, sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda over the area. Spread it around evenly with a paper towel or a brush.
- Leave in place for an hour. By this time, the stain would have vanished.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to clean up the leftover baking soda before dabbing the site with cold water. This should restore your carpet to its pristine state.
In case the permanent marker stains seem stubborn, you might want to try out the next technique.
How to deal with permanent marker stains using hydrogen peroxide and cold water treatment
Hydrogen peroxide has been an effective stain removal agent but remember that it is also a bleaching agent and removes ink stains entirely but can damage the dye of your carpet. In case the material of your carpet and its dye are weak, avoid using this technique. If your carpet is white or any shade of white, you can utilize this technique to get the best results.
- Spray or pour hydrogen peroxide over the stained area. Make sure that it will fully saturate the site.
- Use a paper towel to blot the site and spread the hydrogen peroxide evenly.
- Once evenly distributed, place a paper towel over the stained area and leave in place for up to 30 minutes. After allowing it to sit, the stains might have faded or lightened in color. It simply means that the hydrogen peroxide has successfully cut off the ink from the fabrics of the carpet and ready to be rinsed out with cold water.
- Drizzle cold water over the site gently and allow it to soak.
- Utilize a paper towel to carefully rub and blot the site to get rid of the moisture. At this point, the marker stains have fully vanished.
In most cases, this technique does not require any repetitions since it is effective even on the first attempt.
Does vinegar get rid of permanent marker
Vinegar is a natural yet potent solution for issues brought about by permanent markers. As a stain removal agent, vinegar that is applied to a permanent marker stain on fabric, as well as hard surfaces, can effectively get rid of the stain.
The reason why vinegar is effective on permanent marker stains is its acidic nature that can break up the stains.
- For permanent marker tints on fabric, place the stained area facing down on several layers of paper towels and dab vinegar straight on the area and rinse with water.
- When used in laundry, you can add vinegar to the washing machine or pre-treat a stain by mixing one-part vinegar to two-parts water.
- For hard surfaces, apply white vinegar to a clean towel and wipe on permanent marker stains on glass or other hard surfaces.
How do you get felt tip pen out of carpet?
If you accidentally marred your carpet with a felt tip pen, simply follow these steps to remove the mark.
- Prepare a solution with one tablespoon liquid-based dishwashing detergent and a tablespoon of white vinegar into 2 cups of warm water.
- With a white towel, dab the solution on the stain. It is recommended to blot frequently using a dry cloth until the stain vanishes.
- Flush the site with clear water.
- In case a trace of the stain lingers, dab on the site with rubbing alcohol. Blot on the site to get rid of the stain.
- Flush the site with alcohol and allow to air-dry.
- Dab the area with cold water.
- Blot until the liquid is fully absorbed.
- In case the stain lingers, prepare a solution of one teaspoon liquid dishwashing detergent and a tablespoon ammonia along with 2 cups of warm water. Dab on the stain using this solution. Leave in place for a minimum of 30 minutes, dabbing every 5 minutes with a white towel and additional solution.
- Dab with cold water and tap until dry.
How do you remove permanent marker with nail polish remover?
One way to remove permanent marker, especially on the carpet is by using nail polish remover. Make sure that you will dab it over the stained area and swap out for a clean cloth until the stain is removed. This will ensure that you will not dab the marker back into the carpet that you just cleaned.
When your carpet at home ends up with unsightly brightly-colored permanent marker stains, do not worry since they can be removed. With the techniques discussed on how to remove marker stains from carpet, you can easily get rid of the stains with a variety of products available at home.