Have you ever cleaned your favorite sneakers and noticed stubborn yellow stains? Although fashionable, white shoes are vulnerable to stains, especially if you wear them frequently. Fortunately, you can use things like white vinegar, salt, detergent, and dish soap to get rid of them.
Just follow these steps, and you’ll be ready to go wherever you want.
Table of Contents
Simply use water and salt
Salt is a natural stain remover, and it also works for removing yellow stains on your shoes. You can easily find it in your home. It’s affordable and easy to use. All you need to collect is an old toothbrush, one tablespoon of salt, one cup of warm water, and a bowl.
Follow these steps to remove the stains from your stylish shoes.
- Fill a bowl with the warm water and mix in one tablespoon of salt. Let the salt dissolve in the water.
- Dip a toothbrush in the solution. Use the toothbrush to scrub the stains off your shoes.
- Scrub it in a circular motion to gently remove the stains, and you can re-saturate the bristles to remove the stains swiftly.
- If you notice that the stains are slowly diminishing, or you’re satisfied with the result, stop scrubbing. Let it dry for 20 minutes.
- Continue scrubbing for a few minutes while re-saturating your brush.
- Once you achieve the original color of your shoes, stop and let it dry.
Laundry detergent and vinegar can also remove yellow stains
Another technique for getting rid of yellow stains on your white shoes can also be done with simple ingredients you have at home. Vinegar and laundry detergent contain high acidity levels that can help you remove the irritating stains.
If your white shoes are full of stains, get the vinegar and laundry detergent, and follow these steps.
- Remove the shoelaces from your shoes. Then put your shoes in the sink and begin wiping them with a damp clean cloth, starting from the sides.
- Fill the sink with warm water and put in a half tablespoon of laundry detergent. Stir it to combine the solution well.
- Place your shoes in the sink and let them soak for one minute. Make sure that the water covers the stains. If you don’t have a sink, you can use a large bucket or basin.
- Get a toothbrush to scrub the stained areas. Wet its bristles and clean the yellow stains. Gently rub it with a circular motion to get rid of the stains.
- Repeat the process on the other shoe. While cleaning the second shoe, soak the first shoe in the solution again.
- If you notice that the blemishes are fading, put your shoes in the washing machine. Set it to the low and warm agitation cycle.
- Make sure you remove your shoelaces before you put your shoes in the washer. They can tangle and transfer its dirt to your shoes. You can put them in a pillowcase, to avoid your shoelaces from knotting.
- Fill the washing machine with water and put a half cup of white vinegar in it. After the cycle, examine your shoes to see if there are still yellow stains.
- Wipe your shoes with a towel and let them air dry in a well-ventilated room.
Using cream of tartar to remove stains on your shoes
Cream of tartar is a super condiment that also doubles as a stain remover, and you can buy it from your local grocery stores or online.
Follow these steps to get optimal results.
- Fill a bucket or basin with hot water. Don’t use boiling water.
- Mix a half cup of cream of tartar in the water. It’s advisable to use a tablespoon to measure the solution accurately.
- Get your white shoes and put them in the solution. Make sure that it covers the yellow stains on your shoes.
- Let your shoes soak in the solution for 30 to 90 minutes.
- Use a brush to scrub your shoes.
- When you see that there are no more stains, rinse using cold water. It’s very important they’re fully rinsed because cream of tartar is a natural acid, and if left unnoticed, it can damage your shoes.
- Air dry your shoes.
Common questions about yellow stains
Can toothpaste be an alternative to remove the yellow stains from my shoes?
Yes, you can also use toothpaste to remove yellow stains on your white shoes. To eliminate the yellow stains, find an old toothbrush and non-gel white toothpaste. Don’t use a colored one because it can stain your shoes. Scrub the stains with toothpaste until they fade. Leave it for ten minutes, and wipe it using a damp towel or cloth. If there are still stains, repeat the process, or you can use the methods above.
Can baking soda remove the yellow stains?
Yes, you can treat yellow stains using baking soda. All you need to do is to mix baking soda, toothpaste, and hydrogen peroxide. Dip your toothbrush in the solution and scrub it on the stained area of your shoes. Let the mixture sit on your shoes for 30 minutes. If it dries, rinse it thoroughly with cold water.
Can you use bleach on white shoes?
Although some of the reasons for the stains on your shoes are bleach, you can still use it to treat the stubborn stains. It’s an aggressive method, so you need to be careful. Use an old toothbrush in scrubbing off the stains in your shoes. Be cautious when using bleach, and wear gloves to protect your hands.
The bottom line
Removing stubborn yellow stains on your trendy white shoes is easy. The three best solutions you can use are detergent and vinegar, salt and hot water, and cream of tartar. You can also use baking soda and toothpaste. With our remedies to help you, you can now remove these annoying yellow stains from your once flawless white sneakers. Go and make memories with style.