Red or blue Gatorade stains on clothing, upholstery, or carpeting do not have to become permanent stains. If you are faced with this ordeal, you can clean both wet or dry Gatorade stains by using several household products such as dish soap, club soda, or vinegar until the stain vanishes. When dealing with red Gatorade, it might take several products to completely remove it due to the presence of dyes in the formula.
Read further to learn ways to remove Gatorade stains.
Table of Contents
How to get rid of Gatorade stains from clothes
When you want to remove Gatorade stains from clothes, you start by rinsing under lukewarm water. Then you make a mixture of either bleach or oxygen bleach and water. Soak the stained clothes in the mixture for 30 to 45 mins. Wash the clothes in the washing machine.
Steps on how to remove Gatorade stains on machine-washable fabrics
When you have machine-washable fabrics that end up with Gatorade stains, let’s take a look at the steps on how to remove Gatorade stains on machine-washable fabrics properly.
- Rinse out as much of the Gatorade stain as possible under lukewarm water.
- If the spot is fresh, some of the Gatorade and its color will rinse out which makes cleaning easier.
- Prepare a solution by mixing ¼ cup of bleach or oxygen bleach with one gallon of cool or lukewarm water in a plastic tub or bucket. Use oxygen bleach for colored fabrics.
- Immerse the stained area in the solution for 30-45 minutes. If you are using oxygen bleach, soak the garment for several hours.
- After soaking, wash it based on the fabric care label and use your preferred laundry soap.
How to get rid of Gatorade stains on upholstery and carpet
You can get blue or red Gatorade out of carpet with club soda. If you need something a little stronger, you can add liquid dish soap and vinegar to the mix.
When Gatorade accidentally spills on upholstery and carpet, simply follow these steps. Remember though that it might take several methods to remove Gatorade stains completely out of upholstery or carpet.
- Blot as much of the liquid as possible immediately using paper towels or an absorbent towel. Just blot instead of rubbing to ensure that the spot will not spread.
- Pour a small amount of club soda over the stained area. Make sure that you will use just enough to re-wet the stain. Blot the site with paper towels until the dye transfers to the paper.
- If club soda is not effective alone, add a tablespoon each of liquid dish soap and vinegar to 2 cups of cool water. Soak a white cloth or sponge into the solution. Saturate the Gatorade stain on the upholstery or carpet. Let it sit for up to 30 minutes and blot again with a dry cloth.
- Alternate between a dry cloth and moist cloth saturated with the solution until the stain fades.
- Sponge the site with clean cool water and blot dry.
In case the stain lingers, dab over the site as the final line of defense. Do not forget to test first any liquid-based treatments on upholstery or carpet in a concealed area to ensure that they do not discolor or damage the fibers.
Extra treatment for red Gatorade stains
When it comes to red Gatorade stains, they are quite hard to remove. Let’s take a look at the steps on how to remove one.
- Add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to a quart of warm water.
- Moisten a white cloth or towel with the vinegar solution and press it over the leftover stain.
- Let it sit for up to 30 minutes and wipe from the outside borders of the discolored area, moving towards the center.
- Blot clean with a small amount of water and pat dry using a white cloth.
- For washable garments, immerse the stained area in the solution for 30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and wash as usual.
Does blue Gatorade stain?
Gatorade is a water-based beverage that makes it easy to remove on fabrics and carpet. It is the artificial coloring in blue Gatorade that can be a challenge though. With patience and carefully following the instructions, you can easily remove a Gatorade stain.
- Dab the stain right away with a dry white cloth or paper towel to soak up as much of the Gatorade as possible.
- Pre-treat the stained area by dabbing laundry soap. An alternative is using a half vinegar and water solution or club soda. With a clean cloth, douse the stained area with either the laundry soap or your preferred spot remover that is mixed with water.
- Use a clean, white cloth or paper towel to dab the site, soaking up the solution. Start at the outer borders of the stain and move towards the center.
- Continue to agitate until the stain fades. For a stubborn stain, rinse the fabric and apply ammonia. Cover the stain with a towel and place the iron over it. Check periodically if the stain is gone.
How do I get red Gatorade out of my couch?
Although Gatorade is mostly water, it still contains artificial colors depending on the flavor. It is recommended to deal with a spill to achieve the best results in removing a red Gatorade stain off your couch. Simply follow these steps on getting rid of red Gatorade stains on your couch.
- Prepare a solution by mixing 1 tablespoon of dishwashing soap, 1 tablespoon of white vinegar and 2 cups of cold water in a bowl or basin.
- Moisten a sponge or paper towels with the solution and blot on the stained area. Avoid rubbing or grinding on the site. Let it sit for up to 30 minutes and replace the soiled paper towels or rinse the sponge every 5 minutes.
- Wipe the site with cool, clean water and blot the liquid with a clean towel.
- Blot the stain with rubbing alcohol and repeat using clean water.
- If a trace remains, remove it by preparing a solution of 1 teaspoon of dishwashing soap, 1 tablespoon of ammonia, and 2 cups of cool water. Use a sponge or paper towel that is soaked into this solution to cover the stain. Let it sit for 30 minutes, re-moistening the sponge every 5 minutes. Dab the site with clean water and blot until dry.
How do you get Gatorade out of leather?
Since Gatorade is mostly comprised of water, you might end up with spots once you accidentally spill it on leather. It is important to wipe the liquid right away to prevent the formation of spots in the first place. Luckily, even if the liquid has dried, you can still get rid of them.
- Combine warm water and a few drops of mild dish soap in a bowl or bucket. Soak a sponge into the bucket and wring out the excess. Wipe the Gatorade spot gently using a sponge. Avoid rubbing since this can damage the leather. In most cases, this is enough to remove mild spots.
- Soak a cotton ball with some rubbing alcohol. Rub it on the spot gently. Use a damp rag to go over the site. An alternative to rubbing alcohol is white vinegar. Combine equal parts of vinegar and water into a bowl and moisten a rag with the solution. Work it in the spot gently using the vinegar solution until it vanishes.
- Place a coating of mayonnaise directly to the spot. Let it soak for up to 3 hours. If the spot is stubborn, allow the mayonnaise to sit overnight. Dab the mayonnaise into the site using a soft towel or cloth in circular motions. Continue to rub until it vanishes. Wipe the surface clean using a moist rag and dry carefully.
- Apply a leather cleaner to get rid of the spot if the methods above were not successful. Follow the instructions on the label for the right application.
- Dab on a leather conditioner on the leather surface once the stain is gone. Since water might dry out the natural oil in the leather, the condition will help restore the oil.
When dealing with Gatorade stains on fabric or other surfaces, it is important to manage it right away. With the methods described on how to remove Gatorade stains, you can readily deal with it and restore the clean appearance of your clothes, upholstery, or carpet.